Mount Pleasant, SC – The Mount Pleasant Police Department has designated an area in front of their police department as a Safe Exchange Location.
The area is located at 100 Ann Edwards Lane and is available for anyone who needs a safe place to complete transactions from websites such as Craigslist, eBay, and Facebook swap pages. The area designated for exchanges is just to the left of the front door when facing the police department. It is marked with a sign and the curb is painted blue to make it easy to find. Surveillance cameras will monitor the area 24 hours a day.
“We wanted to create an area where citizens felt comfortable exchanging goods,” says Inspector Chip Googe. “This space can also be used for child custody exchanges if needed.”There are a few things to keep in mind when using this safe zone. Officers will not be there to help facilitate the exchange, check serial numbers, negotiate payments, or check the identification of any individuals involved. Also, the exchange of weapons at this location is prohibited.
When conducting transactions online please keep the following tips in mind:
· Use websites that you are familiar with.
· Try to bring someone with you when exchanging items.
· Do not invite strangers into your home.
· Conduct transactions during daylight hours.
· Tell a friend or family member where you are going.
· Trust your instincts.
· Turn off geotagging on your smartphone before taking pictures to post online. This keeps anyone from seeing the location where the picture was taken.
· If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.